Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sourcing materials

Doing the final fabrication of something can give a person the impression that they are making something locally. However, assembling materials from China, Turkey or some other far-flung location here in Toronto hardly makes it local, if I think about it.

At the City of Craft fair late last year, I saw astonishing wools that had been hand-processed and dyed, and in some cases, sheared by women from outside the city, not too far away. Even though I had not even started knitting, I was so beguiled by some of these yarns that I returned to their tables again and again, not having the confidence to actually buy, but knowing that I was looking at something of quality and worth.

Now that I'm knitting, I am looking for local yarns to make my creations with. Any tips would be appreciated.

No comments: